"feel save - be free" 2005
Security can make freedom possible. The desire for absolute security, however, also means the risk of restricting freedom or even destroying it. It is therefore important to keep the area of conflict between security and freedom in balance. That is only possible, however, when we fill it out individually and creatively. In our times, insecurity is growing so that the wish for security in society could become overpowering. Then we are told to steer against it and create new free areas: security serves freedom!
Security without freedom is the dictatorship of the system. Freedom without security is the dictatorship of the individual. Only the right of the stronger counts. The freedom is then taken from the weaker. To balance security and freedom: that is one of the main tasks of culture. In our culture, in our reality, security has many faces today: in the public eye, in the private sphere, in digital systems and in many other areas.
The dna competition 2004 “feel safe – be free” asked artists to suss up the field of conflict, the ambivalence between security and freedom here and today in our social reality and to reflect creatively.
Closing Date: 15. April 2005
- the content´s relevance to the stated theme
- artistic and creative innovation
- form and technical quality of composition
- Tomaso Carnetto, Manager of Interactive Media at F.A.K.D. Frankfurt
- Claudia Härtl-Kasulke, art historian, BERATUNG KULTUR + KOMMUNIKATION (advice, culture and communication) management consultants, Dietzenbach
- Claudia Herbst, artist and Assistant Professor, Pratt Institute, New York
- Rolf Schubert, Professor in Communication Design, interactive Media and movie animations at the FH-Wiesbaden
- Bernhard Serexhe, Manager of Museum Communication in ZKM, Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie (Centre for Art and Media Technology), Karlsruhe
- 1. Prize: Inclusion in the community exhibition „feel safe - be free“ plus cash prize of Euro 3.000,00
- 2. Prize: Inclusion in the community exhibition „feel safe - be free“ plus cash prize of Euro 1.200,00
- 3. Prize: Inclusion in the community exhibition „feel safe - be free“ plus cash prize of Euro 700,00
- Prize 4-15: Public recognition in the community exhibition „feel safe - be free“