"plug out" 2003/04
Just switch off for once, take a time-out and allow the soul to dangle – who would not like to do that? Hectic, stress and the fast-moving nature of our times – just leave everything behind, enjoy the quiet and rethink life. Just belong completely to yourself, maybe venture into a new start and do some things differently from up to now.
Under the title ”plug out”, the dna awards 2003 played with longings which indeed allow phenomenons such as the burn-out syndrome or the conscious negation of common lifestyle concepts to be recognised.
At the same time, ”plug out” provided encouragement for the critical use of digital image tools. So-called plug-ins. You are too easily tempted on the way to new forms of expression to lose yourself on the digital interim step in image worlds of fantasy or fantastic ornaments. ”plug out” aimed, however, not for the creation of foreground effects but for their intelligent use and the artistic answer to the question: Where do the interpretory, aesthetic or abstracting qualities lie and what does the aesthetic manipulation of the image (abyss) in the age of the media look like.
Closing Date: 28.11.2003
- the content´s relevance to the stated theme
- artistic and creative innovation
- form and technical quality of composition
- Tomaso Carnetto, Manager of Interactive Media at F.A.K.D. Frankfurt
- Claudia Härtl-Kasulke, art historian, BERATUNG KULTUR + KOMMUNIKATION (advice, culture and communication) management consultants, Dietzenbach
- Claudia Herbst, artist and Assistant Professor, Pratt Institute, New York
- Rolf Schubert, Professor in Communication Design, interactive Media and movie animations at the FH-Wiesbaden
- Bernhard Serexhe, Manager of Museum Communication in ZKM, Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie (Centre for Art and Media Technology), Karlsruhe
- 1. Prize: Inclusion in the community exhibition „plug out“ plus cash prize of Euro 3.000,00
- 2. Prize: Inclusion in the community exhibition „plug out“ plus cash prize of Euro 1.200,00
- 3. Prize: Inclusion in the community exhibition „plug out“ plus cash prize of Euro 700,00
- Prize 4-15: Public recognition in the community exhibition „plug out“